The ”’Mul Mantar”’ (Punjabi: ਮੂਲ ਮੰਤਰ, Mūl Maṃtar, pronounced Mool Mantar) is the first composition in the Sikh holy text and Great Living Guru, the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, written in Punjabi. It is a series of affirmations and is the basis of Sikh theology, as well as the fundamental prayer.The Mul Mantar is the first composition of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The Guru Granth Sahib JI begins with the Mul Mantar and it occurs more than one hundred times throughout the text where it is placed at the beginning of the particular Shabad. Bhai Mani Singh Ji explains that the reason for placing the Mul Mantar at the beginning of a Shabad is that a Gursikh (Guru’s Sikh) should remember that everything else will eventually be annihilated and only the Satnam (All-pervading Supreme Reality) will remain.It can be considered as the moral or the sole truth of the universe.
This Mantar encompasses concepts which have been evaluated and proven over many eras (or yugs) and known to be flawless beyond any ambiguity what so ever. The rest of Japji sahib that follows this mantar is said to be a elaboration of the main mantar and that the rest of the Guru Granth Sahib totalling 1430 pages, is a detailed amplification of the Mool Mantar.
- Gurmukhi: ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
- Transliterationa: ikk ōankār sat(i)-nām(u)karatā purakh(u) nirabha’u niravair(u)akāl(a) mūrat(i) ajūnī saibhan gur(a) prasād(i).
- English: “Universal Oneness, The supreme Unchangeable Truth and that is the Onkar, The Creator of the Universe, Beyond Fear, Beyond Hatred, Beyond Death, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent, by the Guru’s Grace
- ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
- Ik– There is ONE(Ik) reality, the origin and the source of everything. The creation did not come out of nothing. When there was nothing, there was ONE, Ik.
- Onkaar– When Ik becomes the creative principal it becomes Onkaar. Onkaar manifests as visible and invisible phenomenon. The creative principle is not separated from the created, it is present throughout the creation in an unbroken form, ‘kaar’.
- Satnaam– The sustaining principle of Ik is Satnaam, the True Name, True Name.
- Kartaa Purakh– Ik Onkaar is Creator and Doer (Kartaa) of everything, all the seen and unseen phenomenon. It is not just a law or a system, it is a Purakh, a Person.
- Nirbhau– That Ik Onkaar is devoid of any fear, because there is nothing but itself.
- Nirvair– That Ik Onkaar is devoid of any enmity because there is nothing but itself.
- Akaal Moorat– That Ik Onkaar is beyond Time (Akaal) and yet it is existing. Its a Form(Moorat) which does not exist in Time.
- Ajooni– That Ik Onkaar does not condense and come into any birth. All the phenomenon of birth and death of forms are within it.
- Saibhang– That Ik Onkaar exists on its own, by its own. It is not caused by anything before it or beyond it.
- Gurprasaad– That Ik Onkaar is expresses itself through a channel known as Guru and it is only its own Grace and Mercy (Prasaad) that this happens.
Ikoaŉkār saṯ nām karṯā purakẖ nirbẖao nirvair akāl mūraṯ ajūnī saibẖaŉ gur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru’s Grace.