Gurudwara Chheharta Sahib, 7 km west of Amritsar (31° 38’N, 74° 52’E), is named after a well that Guru Arjan (1563-1606) had sunk. The well was so wide, and the water supply so abundant, that six Persian wheels installed around the interior of its circufrence could operate simultaneously. Hence its name Chheharta, lit. having six (chhe) Persian wheels (hart or harta).
Now developed as an industrial township, Chheharta falls within the revenue limits of Vadali Guru, a village one km to the south, where Guru Arjan stayed during 1594-97
1. Tara Sirigh, Sn Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar n.d.
2. Thakar Sirigh, Giani, 5n Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923